Monday, August 20, 2012

So what do I propose?

It's easy to discuss problems, but solutions are often more difficult in the coming.  I am sure that there are a number of solutions that would be more than adequate, but here are a few.  Most of these will require the assent of a super-majority of the affected parties, so calming measures may certainly take a variety of forms. I have listed several, though these are not necessarily desirable or practical.  Ultimately, I would like to begin to dialog about how to prevent the traffic problems on our street.

Some potential solutions (in no particular order) -
1.  Speed Humps - These large bumps are very effective in slowing folks down, and do not require much maintenance.  They can be inconvenient when driving a car with a low suspension, but in most cases they provide a solid "one size fits all" solution.

2.  Islands at Stop Signs - Speaking from my own personal experience, I think that these are an attractive way to enforce stop signs, and reduce the inertia that propels so many cars down Stonington at break neck speeds.  By forcing folks to observe the stop signs, or at least slow down appreciably, this thoroughfare becomes a lot less desirable as a "speed through", and folks may seek other alternatives.

3.  A Stonington "One Way Turn" Island at Tilly Mill - This would prevent a lot of the traffic that turns from Tilly Mill onto Stonington when cutting through. I would be interested to study where the cut through traffic comes from and see if an alternative like this would be workable.

4.  Close the Intersection of Tilly Mill and Stonington - Apparently in years past this was done.  I think that this is a drastic solution that would affect a number of residents well beyond those who are affected by the Stonington Traffic.  I suspect that a solution such as this would be the source of a great deal of contention.

4.  Increased Police Presence - This is always desirable, but in truth, I would prefer to allocate police resources toward addressing and preventing the most serious crimes that are occurring in Dunwoody.

5.  Digital Speed Limit Signs with Radar - I do not know how effective these are, but with the number that are springing up, I would imaging that there are studies somewhere that justify their use.  I would think that these would probably slow some distracted drivers down, but not those who know full well what they are doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment